Thursday, March 19, 2015

Another princesses update

While working on Holiday Mazes, I discovered that the wonderful old program TesselMania had been rewritten by its author with a new publisher and a new name, TesselManiac. I bought a copy and used it in designing a few of the mazes in Holiday Mazes.

As I played with it, I also stumbled on some designs that would work well in The Big Book of Little Princess Mazes. I decided that the time to do another update had arrived. Below are illustrations showing what some of the new mazes look like.

The maze using tessellating hands in the previous version used a pattern also used in The Big Book of Little Pirate Mazes. Now it does not.

I seem to have no problems finding tessellation patterns that resemble birds. The chicken tessellation below is one that seems better than most.

 It took me a while to figure out how to use the insect tessellation pattern below for a maze.

This is my version of a turtle tessellation that other people have also discovered. (There are certain designs that many people stumble on as they play with the program.)

One of the stories in the book is about a mermaid. I thought this design looked enough like a mermaid to use it. I hope the kids who use the books will also see mermaids in the maze.

 Not all the new mazes use tessellations. I developed this star pattern while working on Holiday Mazes but did not use it there.

Originally the Little Princess Maze book had almost no maze patterns that had not appeared in my previous maze books. After four minor revisions, it now has quite a few mazes based on unique patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment